Thursday 19 August 2010

My Buffy Addiction

Buffy: Well, I gotta look on the bright side. Maybe I can still get kicked out of school.
Xander: Oh, yeah, that's a plan. Cause lots of schools aren't on Hellmouths.
Willow: Maybe you could blow something up. They're really strict about that.
Buffy: I was thinking of a more subtle approach, ya know, like excessive not studying.
Giles: [to himself] The Earth is doomed.

My co-worker started lending me the entire series of Buffy the Vampire Slayer last year, which led to many sleepless nights, withdrawal, hilarity, excitement, the urge to infect others with my passion, and an urge to paint fanart.

BtVS is now one of my favourite shows - up there with Firefly and Black Books. I'm now about to begin the fourth season of Angel and rewatching Buffy on YouTube and trying to buy up all the DVDs.

Anyway, in an urge to restart this blog, just a little, I figured I'd introduce everything I've written on Buffy!

Firstly, there's the Buffy Versus Edward lens: Would Buffy Stake Edward?. Sure, the whole "Slayer kicks Sparkles over the horizon and back" theme is a foregone conclusion, but Squidoo didn't seem to have figured that out. The majority (...every lens but one) of lenses were entirely pro-Twilight. Clearly a lot of the Squidooers were a) in the target audience (girls aged 13 and bored moms) and b) onto a good thing. Twilight cakes and bedding?

So enter Buffy. And the most awesome Buffy fan-video ever made.
http://www.squidoo.com/buffy-versus-edward

That lens led, inevitably, to the need for a lens to showcase the spin-off t-shirt: And then Buffy staked Edward. The End

I got a little carried away with this and collected a whole bunch of funny t-shirts from Cafepress expanding on the theme, which seemed to be well appreciated by visitors - but saw no sales until I added the Amazon t-shirt up the top! To my great delight, the recent-ish release of the latest in the Twilight Series led to a huge surge in visitors - and sales!

Anyway, in celebration, as soon as I earn enough in sales from this lens, I shall bu one of the t-shirts for myself!
http://www.squidoo.com/buffy-killed-edward-t-shirt

I was still watching through BtVS at this point, and had been hearing about the famous musical episode for a while. I pretty much rushed through the sixth season until I reached Once More With Feeling. I loved it. It really, truly is one of the best musical television episodes ever. I had to re-watch it three times in a row, and then I had to go make a Squidoo lens all about it. And I have most of the songs on my music player and listen to them rather a lot (well, whenever random spits them up!). It really is worth watching, and the songs are definitely worth listening to! The fact that all the actors sing their own songs - and some are quite musically talented! (Anthony Stewart Head (Giles), James Marsters (Spike) and Amber Benson (Tara) have all gone onto to some kind of singing career). I also enjoy the variety of songs - sweet love song, rock and roll, blues, and some swinging demon jazz!

Finally, I was awarded a Purple Star (Squidoo award for outstanding lenses) for it!
http://www.squidoo.com/buffy-once-more-with-feeling

Reember how I said I was inspired to paint some fan art? Well, wouldn't you like to see it? As Buffy seems to inspire me to paint some what regularly, I'm making a project out of it. I put together a lens of my Buffy paintings for the Summer Sunshine Charity Contest on Squidoo: Buffy Fanart Portraits

I would really, really appreciate nominations (it ends next week, end of August, though!). The instructions are under the pictures, just above the Guestbook - so you've actually had a chance to have a look at it! - and only involves a brief filling out of a form. Even if not, I hope you enjoy the various paintings - Buffy, Willow and Tara, so far, plus a couple of other sketches.
If you're on DeviantART, you can find them all here
http://www.squidoo.com/buffy-fanart

Lastly, when I began watching Angel, I created a lens asking which was the better show: Buffy Vs. Angel
This sat in my WIPs for a very long time, as I figured that I should watch a little more of Angel than I already had! Anyway, I've finally finished it off, and if YOU have an opinion on whether Angel was boring or brooding, which was the better series out of BtVS and Angel and if Buffy would beat Angel in a fight, then please come join in at:
http://www.squidoo.com/buffy-vs-angel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment