Monday 22 August 2011

Two Amazing Videos About the Environment



MUSIC PAINTING - Glocal Sound - Matteo Negrin
An arrestingly beautiful story of birds and flowers and industrialism and the environment. It's drawn around the notes as they play.


Astonish Me - a short film for WWF

(Woohoo - that's the Albert Natural History Museum. I visited it when I was a kid, and again when I went back to the UK a couple of years ago - still one of my favourite places.)
This. THIS is what we need more of. This is one of those vital, desperately needed links in the communication between scientists and everyone else. This is the sort of stuff I'll be doing my Masters on (rates of species discovery). There aren't as many species left to discover as people used to estimate - partly because the actual number of discoveries wasn't known (now being corrected in huge projects like WoRMS). But there are still a heck of a lot of species of all sizes. especially in the deep sea.

For example, the Colossal Squid, the Chan's megastick (the biggest insect in the world), birds, snakes, giant lizards, tiny primates, the beautiful Sudan clouded leopard, a shark that walks on its fins - and the Barreleye, which is my current favourite (it can roll its eyes up and see through its own forehead)
I mean, look at this...

And its face! It's... it's cute. Like a less pouty puffer fish or a squashed in porpoise.


See www.wwf.org.uk/astonishme for more about the video itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment